Assault arrest

Share

A 22-year-old Frankston man has been charged with the assault of Mical Jones in Mornington last month.

Kyle Pollard appeared in Frankston Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday charged with intention to cause serious injury and multiple assault-related charges after he was apprehended at his home around 6am on Tuesday. He did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody to appear in Melbourne Magistrate’s court on Monday.

Detective Senior Constable Rohan Brock of Mornington crime investigation unit said police were still investigating a second person believed to be involved in the assault in Empire Street Mall about 4am on Sunday 16 September.

It would be alleged Pollard was the “main offender” in the attack which has left Mr Jones, 28, with serious head injuries and still fighting for life in The Alfred hospital. He was found unconscious beside a rubbish bin in the Empire Street Mall shortly after the alleged bashing.

Detective Brock said a search of Empire Street Mall and surrounding buildings last week failed to uncover any new evidence.

Piecing together Mr Jones’ movements on the night, Detective Brock said it appeared he had enjoyed a night out at the Grand and Bay hotels in Main Street, Mornington, before leaving the Bay alone when it closed about 3.30am.

Last week Mr Jones’ father, Robert Jones, issued an impassioned plea for witnesses or information that may help police catch his son’s attackers.

Mical Jones, a house painter from Rosebud, moved to the Mornington Peninsula from the NSW north coast at the beginning of the year.  He remains in a coma in The Alfred hospital

Share

Leave a Reply