Shire secretary suffering from influenza


MR JOHN E. Jones (the Shire Secretary) is still suffering from the attack of influenza that he has been the victim of for some weeks now, and was unable to take up his duties at the Council meeting on Thursday.

Mr W. G. Sanders, of Mornington, acted as locum tenens in Mr Jones’ absence.

We hope soon to see the latter again able to take up the duties of his office.


MADAM Emily Benson, the Melbourne Society entertainer will sing at the concert in aid of the Frankston District Roll of Honor.


IN our last issue Mrs A. W. Taylor’s name was omitted from the list of ladies in the Queen Carnival. Mrs Taylor is Queen of Servia. (Tobacco Stall.)


ON the eve of his departure to Melbourne, Mr F. Girdlestone, local railway employee, was presented with a clock suitably inscribed, by his fellow employes.


MR Harry Skinner, the well known Scottish entertainer has arranged a musical treat for the residents of Frankston for Saturday, August 19th at the Mechanics’ Hall.

The funds are in aid of the Frankston District Roll of Honor Fund.


AT the Frankston Police Court on Monday, before Messrs Williams, Oates, Crawford and Grant, Js.P., Harry Ritches was proceeded against by the Railway Department for travelling without a ticket, and was fined 10s with 7s 6d cost.


Mr Bernard Michael notifies that the property advertised in last issue to be offered for sale by auction at Coop’s Hotel, Somerville, at 2 p.m on Wednesday 9th August, has been withdrawn from sale.


A FOOTBALL match is to be played today (Saturday) on the Carrum ground against a team from Carrum School.

The boys who are to play for Frankston are:—Frank Mills, E. Osborne, W. McComb, G. McComb, D. Flannagan, W. Baxter, G. Bradbury, J. Cameron, V. McComb, W. Davies, J. Davies, L. Ryan, L. Marshall, C. Reeves, L Heffinan, A. Nicholson, J. Bray, G. Von.


A GRAND concert and ball is announced to be held on Wednesday, 16th August, in the Moorooduc Brick Hall, in aid of the funds of the Bittern North Co-operative Association.

A capital programme of Melbourne and local talent is being secured, and as it will be bright moonlight on the evening chosen, there will doubtless be a full attendance.


MESSRS Alex Scott and Co will hold their usual monthly sale of stock, etc, at Tanti, on Monday next.

There will be a good yarding of mixed cattle and sheep.

At two o’clock on the same day and place, the firm will offer a number of Mornington township allotments, which are advertised as being for absolute sale, and the terms are cash.

Also about 30 acres, being part of Crown allot. 6, section A, parish of Moorooduc, and 1a. 2r. being part of Crown allotment 32, in the same parish.


THE annual municipal elections take place throughout the State, on Thursday, 24th August.

In the Shire of Frankston and Hastings the retiring councillors are Crs Plowman, Keast and Turner, for the North, Centre, and East ridings.

So far, not much interest has been shown, and the only candidates who have announced themselves are Cr Plowman, for the North riding, and Mr W. Longmuir for the East riding.

The nomination day is fixed for Thursday next, between the hours of 10 o’clock in the forenoon and 4 o’clock in the afternoon.

Cr Lloyd has announced that he again seeks re-election as a councillor for the Tooradin Riding of the Shire of Cranbourne.


Letters from the Front

The following interesting letter appeared in the “Post” of last week. A Frankstonian in England writes as follows:

“Just a few lines to let you know how one of the Frankston footballers acted in the great attack on Pope’s Hill on August 7th, 1915.

You remember Syd. O’Neil joined up with the 8th Light Horse at Broad-meadows early in September of 1914.

Before very long he was promoted to corporal, and did very good work with the squadron in Egypt. I saw him for a few hours in Egypt, and had a great chat.

After a few weeks at the Dardanelles word came along that the 8th Light Horse had landed, so I went along to see him.

They were a merry crowd, a trifle disappointed at having to leave their horses behind, but happy to think that they were to have the chance of doing their bit.

Sid. was looking very well, brown as a berry; the same old Syd., face wreathed in smiles.

They had a position in the line on Pope’s Hill, near our left flank.

When the Turks, led by Enver Pasha, attacked our trenches on June 25th, the 8th L. H. greatly distinguished themselves.

General Walker congratulated the men on the wonderful discipline they had displayed; later on he mentioned them in the Home despatches.

On that night of the 25th the 8th killed over 500 Turks, an excellent start for the regiment.

Syd was promoted to sergeant-major, and was transferred to another squadron.

They still held the same position in the line. The most respected man in that regiment was Syd. O’Neil, and the old squadron missed him very much when he left to takeover the next squadron.

On August 7th the 8th L.H. had to make an attack from Pope’s Hill.

Syd’s old squadron was ready to go out over the top, and there was a lot of murmuring amongst the men, which ended in a deputation waiting on the colonel, asking for Sgt-Major O’Neil to lead them in the charge.

Syd. heard about this, and you who know him so well can imagine how he acted. He volunteered at once, quickly taking command of the squadron, and at the signal to advance quickly leapt the parapet and made for the Turkish lines.

Syd. led over the parapet, but had only advanced a few yards when he received a fatal wound, dropping within a few yards from the parapet.

On the football field he always played straight, admired by everyone who came into contact with him. He died a hero’s death, a white man right through.

He had no need to go out at all that day, but his men needed him, and Syd. was not the man to stand down.

They buried him in the cemetery on Brighton Beach, the remnants of the 8th Light Horse attending.

From the pages of the Mornington Standard, 5 August, 1916

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 2 August 2016


Comments are closed.