MT ELIZA Anglican Church on Nepean Highway, Mt Eliza, will hold its annual fete, 9.30am-1.30pm, Saturday 25 February.
On offer will be homemade treats, trash and treasure, barbecue and café, plants, jewellery, gifts and pony rides at the church on the corner of Koetong Parade.
Last October the St James The Less congregation celebrated 150 years since the laying of the cornerstone of the small white church.
The site was given by a Captain Edward Lintott. A committee was formed, money raised, and an architect appointed. Clay for the bricks came from the site of Peninsula School. The original building consisted of a nave and porch and could seat about 70 people.
The first service was held in 1866 by the Rev Thomas Abraham, the vicar at Mornington. A chancel and vestry were added in 1913.
In 1964 the new parish of Mt Eliza appointed the Rev Charles Miles as vicar. In 1931, Mt Eliza resident Violet Teague spent two years painting a mural on the sanctuary wall using local residents as models. In 2000, the church and the altar paintings were heritage listed. The church’s stained glass window was designed by Leonard French.
Four services are held on Sundays and another on Wednesdays.
Details: mteliza.melbourneanglican.org.au or call 0419 399 178 or 9775 3301.