Poison suspicions in Mornington death


TWO miles out of Mornington, the body of an unknown man was found on Tuesday afternoon by Constable Kerr.

Nearby were discovered two packets of strychnine, one of which had apparently been used. On the body was a ticket for a Bay street issued that morning, but there was nothing that would lead to identification.

Deceased had a heavy bushy moustache; and was dressed in a grey sac suit, black woollen socks elastic “slip-on” boots and a cotton shirt and singlet.


PROFOUND regret was expressed when the news of the death of Sir John Madden, Chief Justice of Victoria was announced on Monday last.

Death which was of a particularly sudden nature, was due to heart failure, and occurred at the flat of Mr W. H. Jowett, Como avenue, Toorak.

The late Sir John Madden was born in Ireland in 1844, and at the age of 13 came to Australia with his father, mother and brothers. His hobbies included farming and carpentry, and on his estate in Frankston he followed both in his leisure hours. In 1872 he married the daughter of Francis J.S Stephens, and he had one son and five daughters.

The loss to Frankston in Sir John Madden’s death is a particularly severe one, as he was always ready give his very best help to any movement for the improvement of the town.


IN the 385th casualty list published recently, appears the name of D. Longmuir, Tyabb, under the heading of wounded. We trust he will have a speedy recovery.


PTE D. Downs, who recently returned to Australia after service abroad with the A.I.F., spent the week end at Frankston, where he was warmly welcomed by his friends.


AT the Frankston Methodist Church Mr Elijah J. Stranger will conduct the service on Sunday morning next.

At the evening service Rev E. Tonkin will preach and pay a special tribute of respect to the memory of the late Sir John Madden, who for so many years resided in Frankston


THE deputation to the Minister of Public Works, re improvements to a Kananook creek, and the Municipal deputation with reference to excessive motor traffic to have taken place on Thursday have been postponed, owing to the unexpected defeat of the Bowser Ministry on Wednesday


WE are pleased to note that Mrs Shannon accompanied by her daughter Sheila, has returned to Frankston, where numerous friends congratulated Miss Sheila on her triumphs in the city, with the J. C. Williamson Pantomime Company.

In the nine weeks spent with this company Sheila established herself a firm favourite and the season was marked with huge successes, playing the prominent parts allotted to her with wonderful intelligence, and proving herself a talented dancer.

On different occasions this gifted little Frankstonite has assisted in raising sums of money for Patriotic purposes, and from different papers, from districts where she has appeared, we quote the following

“The graceful and clever little dancer, Miss Sheila Shannon, was seen to advantage in the Butterfly dance, and she won the admiration and loud applause of the audience.”


THROUGH the Overseas Club Southern Cross Tobacco Fund gifts of tobacco and cigarettes sufficient to keep a fighter happy for work may be sent for 1s.

From what is subscribed nothing is deducted for expenses; all costs of organisation, packing despatching etc, being borne by the English Headquarters of the Overseas Club. Collection lists will be found at all post officers, and at every branch of the various banks.


WITHIN four days, the head master called together the successful candidates for the recent exciting contest for the Moorooduc school committee.

When the “lucky seven” had taken their seats at the table, after their eventful fall out of the bag, the selection of positions was dealt with.

Mr Lucas was unanimously voted to the chair and Mr F. Jones was likewise selected as correspondent, while Mr Joseph Turner was given the most honorable position as Treasurer of the funds.


THE elements were against the successful carrying out of the water sports arranged to be held at Frankston on Saturday afternoon last. A good crowd had assembled at the pier and several items of the programme had been gone through when a severe thunderstorm, accompanied by heavy rain drove most of the spectators to shelter.

Most of the programme had to be abandoned but when conditions were brighter a fair number of enthusiasts returned and were spectators at a Life Saving Display and Exhibitions by Gazeka Camp members.

Mr Millett in apologising to the spectators for the non-appearance of the “Pirates Romance” owing to the inclemency of the weather, stated, so as not to disappoint the company present there would be a Demonstration of Life Saving and Exhibitions in the water by the Gazeka Camp members.


IN the evening the seating accomodation of the local hall was quite inadequate, and despite the fact that all the seats from St. Paul’s schoolroom and every available chair from the hotels and boarding houses were requisitioned many were unable to gain admission, and “standing room only” was at a premium.

Despite their being so tightly packed, patrons were in good humour, and the splendid items rendered by the artists received hearty applause, encore after encore being responded to.

Without a doubt the programme was one that would not often be heard outside of Melbourne, and the organiser and his committee deserve great praise for the hard work they did to make the evening so successful.

The Langwarrin Band rendered selections outside the hall before the concert starred, and the efforts of this body together with the Langwarrin orchestra, were much appreciated.


ALTHOUGH contrary to military instructions it is a fairly common practice among troops travelling overseas from Australia, on their way to the front to drop overboard bottles containing messages to friends or relatives, or addressed perhaps to no one in particular.

As a rule when these bottles are picked up the messages are forwarded by the finder to the person to whom they are addressed or to some newspaper.

The Minister for Defence on Thursday made a request that in future all communications found in bottles or other receptacles should be handed to the police for transmission to the district censor.

He pointed out that the practice of dropping messages overboard from vessels was a foolish one.

Some of the messages that had been picked up would have been of considerable value to the enemy and had they by any mischance fallen into enemy hands would probably have jeopardised the lives of hundreds of soldiers and caused the loss of several transports.

He urged, therefore, that in the interests of the troops themselves any messages found in future should be handed direct to the police.

It was not that the authorities desired to punish anyone, but they wanted to prevent any possibility of useful information leaking out to agents of the enemy.


From the pages of the Mornington Standard, 16 March 1918

As published in the Mornington News – 13 March 2018


Comments are closed.