Kangaroos keep touch with finals



No surrender: Red Hill wouldn’t allow the Bulls to charge, and ran away with a comfortable win. Picture: Andrew Hurst

LANGWARRIN have kept their season alive with a hard fought victory over Hastings at Lloyd Park on Saturday.

Coming off a disappointing thrashing against Dromana last week, Langwarrin needed to grab a win over Hastings to be any hope at all of making the finals.

Helped by the return of some key players from injuries, Langwarrin got things started in the best possible way and took a 21 point lead into the quarter time break.

By the time the half time break rolled along, Langwarrin were still leading, but Hastings were keeping touch thanks to their accuracy in front of goal. Hastings had converted six goals from six scoring opportunities to keep themselves in contention.

After the main break Hastings continued to kick straight, but just weren’t able to keep up with Langwarrin. As the final siren sounded, Langwarrin claimed all four points with a 13.12 (90) to 11.3 (69) win.

Luke Hewitt booted three goals for the losing side to take his tally to the year to 44, while Jesse Murphy booted three to take his count for the year to 55.

Langwarrin still sit six points behind Hastings in fifth spot, and will have to rely on other results to go their way to sneak into finals over the final four weeks of the season.

At Red Hill Recreation Reserve, Karingal travelled to take on Red Hill in a clash that would see the winner claim second spot on the ladder.

Red Hill entered the contest full of confidence, having won seven consecutive games. They were also boosted by the news that they had resigned coach Jamie Mollo through until the end of the 2020 season.

Karingal had been in slightly shaky form, and they started on the wrong foot as Red Hill raced to a 15 point lead at the first break.

In the second quarter the Bulls fought back to close the margin to a goal, but let themselves down with a goalless third term. Red Hill raced away to a five goal lead by the three-quarter time break, which proved to be insurmountable.

Helped by nine individual goal kickers, Red Hill ran away with a comfortable 11.11 (77) to 5.7 (37) win.

The gap between Red Hill and ladder leaders Dromana was almost closed further by a shock result at Dromana Recreation Reserve, as Tyabb battled hard to nearly steal a stunning win over the ladder leaders.

Dromana started the clash positively with a three goals to one first quarter, but Tyabb closed the gap to just six points at the half time break.

Dromana were able to stay on top but couldn’t put the brave Tyabb away for good, with the margin standing at only 15 points going into the final quarter.

Although they won the final term and fought hard, the siren eventually sounded with Tyabb just behind, as they fell to Dromana in an 11.19 (85) to 10.14 (74) loss.

Although Dromana claimed all four points, the result will have their upcoming opponents hopeful of knocking off the dominant premiership favourites.

Ben Holmes had another big game for Dromana with a four goal effort, he has now kicked nine in his last two games.

There was another thrilling result at RJ Rowley Reserve, as Rye hosted Devon Meadows in a tight contest.

Despite both sides being effectively ruled out of finals contention, they both played as if it were all on the line in a match that went down to the wire.

The Demons opened up an early lead over the Devon Meadows Panthers, establishing a seven point deficit by the quarter time break and stretching that lead to eight at half time.

Despite leading for most of the day, Rye couldn’t put the Panthers away, and saw their lead reduced to just four going into the final term.

Spurred on by an impressive five goal performance from star forward Michael Theodoridis, the Panthers finally snatched the lead in the final term and ended the game with their noses just in front, securing a stunning come from behind victory 9.16 (70) to 11.7 (73).

The battle between Pearcedale and Crib Point was also a thrilling one, as the Magpies fell agonisingly short of just their second win of the year.

Although Pearcedale led for the entire afternoon, Crib Point battled hard to stay in touch and give themselves a shot going into the final term.

Despite winning the final quarter, Pearcedale were just too strong for the hard working Magpies, as they claimed a 16.10 (106) to 14.13 (97) win.

Luke Daniel was the match winner for Pearcedale, kicking three goals in a best on ground performance.

The final game of the round saw Chelsea claim an easy win over Somerville in a result that will see Somerville’s slim finals hopes come to an end.

Curtis Bywater continued his stunning year with a five goal haul which takes his tally for the year to 53.

Somerville could only take consolation from an impressive last quarter in which they outscored Chelsea six goals to two, but it wasn’t nearly enough to overcome the massive deficit that had been opened up. The Seagulls finished the contest well on top, defeating Somerville 19.13 (127) to 10.16 (76).

First published in the Mornington News – 24 July 2018


Comments are closed.