Mr Williams declares his cow to be disease free


TO All Whom It May Concern.

I WILLIAM WILLIAMS, of “Rupertstan”, Langwarrin, desire to inform the Cattle Buyers of this district that a Cow, forming one of my well known Jersey herd, was, in December last, sent to the yards of Messrs Brody and Mason, in Langwarrin, for sale by auction. 

Mr Mason directed my representative to return the cow to “Rupertstan”, stating that the cow was diseased.

This statement came to the knowledge of several buyers, and I immediately had the cow examined by Mr S. Sherlock, Veterinary Surgeon, of Frankston, who pronounced her in good condition and showing no signs of ill health. 

Mr Mason declining to make any statement to correct his error, I now take this means of publicly advertising the fact that this cow, together with the rest of the “Rupertstan” herd, is free from disease or taint of any kind.


MR C. M. Griffeth has been returned unopposed for the seat in the Centre Riding of the Shire of Frankston and Hastings rendered vacant by the resignation of Cr Jos. Unthank. 

As the son of the late Cr Griffeth (one of the best public men our district ever possessed) the newly elected councillor is sure to be accorded a cordial welcome at the Council table.


THE announcement is made in another column that the opening night for the euchre tournament will take place on Thursday, 10th April, and will be held fortnightly thereafter. 

Those gathering, which proved highly successful last winter, will be again welcomed by a large section of the public.


INFLUENZA. Several cases of sickness have been reported in Frankston this week, and as a precautionary measure the local authorities have ordered isolation and quarantine.


WE have received the following from the Deputy Postmaster General:

“With reference to your communication of the 17th ultimo, respecting the delay in delivery of copies of the “Standard” addressed to residents of Carrum Seaford, Hastings, and adjoining towns, I beg to inform you that owing to the large number of officers absent through illness, principally influenza, and to excessively heavy posting on Fridays, it is not always possible to deal with the whole of the second class mail matter on the day of receipt.

Attention is now being given to the question of reducing by means of direct mail services or otherwise, the number of district newspapers circulating through Melbourne and dealt with at the General Post Office for delivery in the districts in which they are published, and it is hoped that the difficulty now experienced in ensuring prompt delivery will be overcome.”


SUCCESSFUL Harvest Festival. Services were conducted by the Rev. E. Tonkin in the Frankston Methodist Church on Sunday last. 

The interior of the edifice was tastefully decorated, and the display of fruit and other products was very fine and well arranged. 

Appropriate addresses were given and suitable hymns sung.

At the evening service the choir rendered the Anthem “Praise the Lord O Jerusalem,” Miss Goldie Twining giving the solo therein. 

Miss Croskell also sang, “Consider the Lilies”. 

On the following Monday evening the products were sold by “Bruce” auction, Mr F. Renouf acting as auctioneer. 

There was a good attendance, and the sale realised £6 8s 7d.


AT the Frankston Methodist Church on Sunday next Mr. H. Ponton of Albert Park will conduct both services. 

In the evening Mr Ponton will be assisted by the Spansley Street Clifton Hill, Methodist Brass Band.

The Band will render sacred selections in the Church and lead the congregational singing. One of their members will also sing a solo. 

From 3.30 to 5 p.m. the Band will play in the Recreation Reserve.


CONSTABLE Dishall resumed duty last Friday after several weeks absence from Frankston.


PRIVATE F. Harley, M.M. is due to arrive home in a few days. His many friends will be pleased to congratulate him on the distinction he achieved.


MRS J. A. Williams of Frankston, has received word from her husband that he has received his commission.

At time of writing Lieutentant Williams expected to leave England by an early boat for Australia.


THE marriage of Miss Rene Dean of Karr St Frankston with Corporal F. Carter is announced to take place at the Methodist Church, Frankston, on Wednesday next.


LAST week, Miss Ross, who for some time was a member of the local Post Office staff, was made a presentation by her Frankston friends.


Hastings Court of Petty Sessions.

Tuesday, 18th March, 1919. (Before Mr Knight, P.M., and Messrs C. Murray and G. E. Shepherd, J.’sP. )

Constable Walker, of Somerville,

charged Thomas Unthank with lighting a fire in the open air in Tyabb on 15th February, whereby the property of another person was destroyed.

Unthank, who pleaded not guilty, was defended by Mr W. S. Cook.

Constable Walker gave evidence as to having inspected the scene of the flre. Saw where dry bushes were cut and the ground chipped, indicating  where the fire had started. 

There was a large quantity of scrub and dry stubble and grass in the vicinity.

William Pike, sworn, said he remembered the day of the fire. His orchard and all his grass paddocks were destroyed. He was at his farm, about half a mile away, at the time, but reached the scene of the fire just as the neighbors had saved his house and sheds.

He met Unthank later in the day. Unthank said to him (witness) that the fire got away from him in the stubble, and travelled faster then he (Unthank) could run. 

He also saw the dry bush referred to, and was of opinion that the fire was lit in the scrub.

Corroborative evidence was given by several other witnesses.

Mr Cook, on stating the case for defendant, contended that there was no evidence to show that Unthank had lit the fire. 

Unthank had no witnesses to call. 

He first saw the fire burning in the stubble, and spent most of the day fighting the fire by himself in his paddock. 

The witnesses for the prosecution had admitted that at no time did defendant admit lighting the fire.

Thomas Unthank, sworn, said he remembered the 15th of February.

About 1.30pm he was in his orchard, and noticed a fire racing across his stubble. 

He took a spade, axe and billy of water, and rushed to the spot.

Was unable to head the fire, as it travelled faster than he could run.

He chipped the grass referred to to prevent further outbreaks by sparks from dry trees.

In answer to Mr Knight, defendant said he would swear that he did not light the fire.

Mr Knight said that the evidence was all circumstantial, and the majority of the Bench did not consider it sufficient to prove a conviction, and the case would be dismissed.

The verdict would not have any effect on the claiming of damages in a civil action in another court.


FROM the pages of the Mornington Standard, 22 March 1919

First published in the Mornington News – 19 March 2019


Comments are closed.