Councillors’ dispute – Crs. Hoare and Oates shake hands


THE stage was arranged at Seaford last Saturday night for a wordy warfare between Councillors Oates and Hoare.

The subject of dispute was the pipe culvert in Station Street, across the much-abused Kananook Creek.

Hostilities opened some weeks ago, when. Cr. Hoare took Cr. Oates to task through the columns of the “Standard.”

Cr. Oates’ reply was a challenge to Cr. Hoare to meet him on the public platform at Seaford to debate the matter.

Cr. Oates duly appeared at Seaford on the date arranged, and in the absence of Cr. Hoare, who had not advised him of his inability to be present, at the request of the meeting addressed the ratepayers.

A vote of confidence in Cr. Oates was carried.

On that occasion Mr. Howell, who was elected chairman, informed the meeting that he had heard that Cr. Hoare was ill, but had received no direct or official intimation from Cr. Hoare himself.

The next act was a notification from Cr. Hoare to Cr. Oates inviting the latter to attend at Seaford on Saturday evening last.

Contrary to expectations, the attendance of the public was not large, although several new faces were noticed.

Cr. Hoare was early in attendance, and he was supported by Messrs. Wilson (erstwhile secretary of the Seaford Progress Association) and Bailey.

Cr. Oates arrived on his grey horse several minutes after 8 o’clock. He was late. He had been to the football match at Balnarring that day, and as one of the passengers of the stranded char-a-banc until a passing motor car picked him up and a delivered him in Frankston, safe, but wet through and very cold.

Here he obtained a few biscuits, by way of dinner, and, procuring his trusty steed, set off for Seaford.

The chief contestants met in no friendly spirit. Too much had been written and spoken prior to the meeting to allow any show of cordiality.

It is, therefore, all the more noteworthy to record that, before the meeting was concluded, they had shaken hands in token of friendship restored.

This happy result was brought about by the resolution moved by Mr. Matarana, and seconded by Mr. Wiltshire, to the effect that Crs. Oates and Hoare and Mr. Wilson be asked to shake hands, and manfully put all differences behind them.

This was carried unanimously, and on the chairman putting the position to the contestants, Crs Oates and Hoare stepped forward, and, amid much applause clasped hands.

Mr. Wilson and Cr. Oates did likewise.

Everyone seemed pleased, and the chairman particularly so. He urged those present to let the dead past bury its dead, and remarked, incidentally, that Kananook Creek was bad enough at any time, without any special stirring up. (Laughter.)


AN open court will be held at the Council Chambers, Somerville on Friday, 25th inst at 10.30 am to revise the voters lists and separate voters lists for the Shire of Frankston and Hastings.


MR William Armstrong, who has sold his property at Seaford has instructed Messrs Brody and Mason to sell his household furnishings, stock, implements etc.

The sale will take place on the premises on Thursday, 7th August commencing at 12 noon.

Full particulars appear in advertisement.


REV E. Tonkin left last Friday, on a three weeks Home Mission Deputation Tour in the Northern part of Victoria. Mr George Sargent, who is on the permanent deputation staff will exchange with him for that time. Mr Sargent conducted the service in the Frankston Methodist Church last Sunday evening.


THE Wattle Club held a most successful euchre party at Frankston last Thursday night.

Mrs Burton (Burton and Law) presented a decorated cake for the lady’s prize and was won by Miss Jones.

The Gents prize was won by Mr Hartland.

The club would be glad to receive gifts suitable for prizes.


MR J. Peebles recently disposed of his Model Dairy business to his soldier son and another returned man (Mr Strong) – now trading as Peebles and Strong.

This transaction did not embrace the well-known dairy and produce shop at the top of Bay Street, Frankston.

This week the announcement appears in our advertising columns that Mr A. N. Challender, also a late member A.I.F., has purchased this department of the business.

Mr Challender in soliciting a share of the liberal patronage bestowed on his predecessor and intends maintaining the high reputation already enjoyed by the establishment.

He undertakes to keep the best of goods and charge very reasonable rates.

Messrs Peebles and Strong, above referred to, have in addition to the Model Dairy bought out Mr Taylor of the Frankston Dairy and will in future connect their business on the promises of the latter.


MISS Mackay, postmistress, at Frankston, has been granted three months sick leave.

Miss Mackay is suffering from nervous breakdown, attributed to overwork. Her many friends will wish her a speedy recovery.


HIS many friends were pleased to see Private Hammond back in Frankston the other day, and the hope has been expressed that he will reestablish the tailoring business he carried on so successfully in the town prior to the outbreak of war.

Private Hammond had charge of the Frankston Brass Band in the pre-war days and under his able conductorship players took a keen interest in their work and their performances were rapidly reaching a point of marked excellence.

Mr Hammond is an enthusiastic bandsman and if he decided to again reside in the district it would not be long before the Frankston Brass Band was once again an institution of prominence.


PRIVATE Alf. C. Berry, returned recently after 4½ years of active service abroad.

Like many men who have travelled far and seen much, he was very modest in relating his share of the great battle in which he was in charge of a Lewis machine gun.

He made very light of the hardships he endured, such as having been unable to speak for months, and working the whole time.

He entertains a very high opinion of the English people for their methods and their fine qualities.

The Belgians were so grateful to his battalion for their release that many offered their beds to the soldiers.

Private Barry was severely wounded at Gallipoli and gassed in France.

While practically an invalid he was in charge of the Correspondence Bureau of the Southern Command, England and Orderly-room Sergeant until the armistice was signed.

He was passed for training as a Commissioned officer at Queen’s college when the armistice was signed, so the lad who went out in his 18th year just missed the coveted honor of a Commission.

Private Berry speaks in warm admiration of the soldierly qualities which distinguish General Brand, and mentioned as a fact the first care of that officer was the welfare of his troops adding he always endeavoured to have a dry bed for his soldiers.


FROM the pages of the Mornington Standard, 19 July 1919

First published in the Mornington News – 16 July 2019