Hillmen held goalless by Bulls



Mud bath: Red Hill had a miserable day in the wet, going down to Karingal without posting a major score in four quarters. Picture: Andrew Hurst

THE top of the table clash between Red Hill and Karingal has ended triumphantly for the Bulls, as the Hillmen were held goalless in miserable conditions.

Red Hill Recreation Reserve was pummelled by harsh conditions throughout the day, leaving players fighting through the mud all afternoon.

The Bulls had their struggles too, and only managed two goals of their own in the first half. Karingal led by ten points at half time. Red Hill had only managed to register two behinds by the main break.

After half time the scrappy contest continued, as Karingal extended their lead with another two goals.

Red Hill were poor in the tough conditions, and when the final siren sounded they had failed to hit the scoreboard with a goal. The final score was Red Hill 0.3 (3) to Karingal 6.4 (40).

On the road against Tyabb, Hastings worked hard and got a good victory. The Blues were boosted by the addition of Brendan Fevola, who kicked nine goals last weekend.

The first half of the contest was tightly contested, with Hastings leading by less than a goal at each break of play, The margin blew out in the third quarter, and the Blues ran away with it.

Despite good early efforts from the Yabbies, they eventually succumbed to defeat to Hastings 5.9 (39) to 9.12 (66). Luke Hewitt booted three goals for the Blues in a best on ground performance. Fevola chipped in with one.

Chelsea, playing at home, let a final quarter lead slip and were defeated by Langwarrin.

The Seagulls started poorly and were restricted to just one goal in the first half. The Kangaroos were not much better, and put three goals on the board before the main break.

Chelsea were the better side in the third quarter and took a narrow two point lead into the final break. In tough conditions at home, they could not hold on and were eventually overrun by Langwarrin.

The final siren sounded with Langwarrin up by seven. The final score was Chelsea 4.3 (27) to 4.10 (34).

At Belvedere Reserve, Seaford struggled at home against Somerville.

Somerville were inaccurate in the wet and kicked 3.8 in the first half, but still held a two goal lead at halftime.

Seaford couldn’t capitalise on Somerville’s misfortune in front of goal. The Tigers eventually lost 3.8 (26) to 5.16 (46). Kane McKenzie was named as Somerville’s best.

At RJ Rowley Reserve, Rye scored an easy win over Crib Point. The Magpies struggled in the wet and were restricted to just one goal in the first half.

Rye were impressive all day, and secured all four points with a 12.16 (88) to 5.6 (36) win. Despite the win they still sit three games outside of a finals berth.

At Glover Reserve, Pearcedale failed to get their second win of the year against Devon Meadows.

Devon Meadows impressed from the get go, and were easily in control with an eight goals to two first half. The final scoreboard read Devon Meadows 15.9 (99) to Pearcedale 6.7 (43). Joel Hillis was Devon Meadow’s best, booting seven goals.

First published in the Mornington News – 16 July 2019