Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Trees to go as part of housing plan
News

Trees to go as part of housing plan

By MP News GroupAugust 7, 2023Updated:July 16, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

HUNDREDS of trees are likely to be removed from a heavily treed 2.73 hectare-block in the Woodlands area of Mount Eliza to make way for eight houses.

An application is currently before council Mornington Peninsula Shire Council for the subdivision and proposed vegetation removal at 273 Canadian Bay Road, including 444 trees.

The council’s manager of development services David Simon said the council had received an application to subdivide the land into eight lots, which involved removing most of non-native trees on the site as well as some native trees.

He said the application was still under consideration and had been referred for comment to Melbourne Water and the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action.

Under the vegetation protection overlay, a permit is required to remove any vegetation, and all trees must be considered, native or not, under their “arboricultural value”, environmental value and habitat value.

Responding to concern from nearby residents about tree canopy loss, Simon said the removal of native vegetation required further consideration of biodiversity impacts and potential impacts on habitat for rare and threatened species.

Despite the council officer’s assurance that all trees must be considered, a council report states that 469 trees were assessed, and most were determined as “low value”.

The report also noted that 25 trees had moderate retention value because they were hollow-bearing indigenous species and potentially provided shelter for native wildlife.

The report stated that the trees these trees had “poor structure and/or poor health”.

No trees were assessed as having “high retention value”.

First published in the Mornington News – 8 August 2023

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.