Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Public may decide ulcer study’s future
News

Public may decide ulcer study’s future

By Keith PlattAugust 5, 2019Updated:July 16, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The future course of a Mornington Peninsula-based study into the causes of the flesh-eating Buruli ulcer could depend on the outcome of a public meeting next Saturday.

Organisers are hoping for “a reasonably civilised event” to fully explain the Buruli study so “concerned groups and individuals can decide where to take it from there”.

In a letter to the mayor Cr David Gill last week, Flinders MP and Health Minister Greg Hunt said Mornington Peninsula Shire had “total control” over “mosquito control activities” and “a broader public health responsibility to its residents to ensure that all necessary actions are being taken to address the occurrence of Buruli ulcer”.

Cr Gill on Sunday expressed surprise that the shire had control over the study – which he has criticised as being a trial because of the chemical sprayings – noting that just one shire officer was involved, mainly attending meetings with the research scientists.

In his letter (which The News has seen) Mr Hunt also describes the shire as a “cornerstone partner” in the study being conducted by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, the Doherty Institute, Barwon Health, Austin Health, the CSIRO, Agriculture Victoria and the University of Melbourne.

Saturday’s forum at Rye civic hall has been organised by Paul Saunders, Kelvin Stingle and Roslyn Browning, all members of the peninsula branch of The Greens.

Mr Saunders said the forum was not a “Greens event” but was being held because many residents were concerned about the spread of the ulcer and the methods proposed to research and control it.

The forum comes in the wake of revelations that properties in three streets in Rye have already been sprayed with chemicals to kill mosquitoes (“Ulcer study ‘now a trial’ – mayor” The News 31/7/19).

News that the spraying had taken place in March surprised shire councillors and angered members of the public who were already voicing their concerns over the environmental effects of the proposed spraying. More than 15,000 signatures have been added to an online petition opposed to the use of chemicals.

Another round of chemical spraying is due in October.

The August e-news from the Southern Peninsula Indigenous Flora & Fauna Association criticises the use of chemicals to control mosquitoes in the face of “ample evidence” that Buruli ulcers stem from lesions and scratches “in fact, anything but mosquito bites in the original Bairnsdale studies”.

“There are political considerations and health ministers and others appear to want to be seen as doing something, even if it’s scientifically and environmentally unsound,” the SPIFFA article states.

Saturday’s forum may also provide a platform for a showdown between Cr Gill and Mr Hunt.

Cr Gill has questioned Mr Hunt’s oversight of $1.5 million of taxpayers’ money provided to the Buruli study, while Mr Hunt has hit back, saying the shire knew all about the study and should consult “with the community in the near future to outline [its] plans within this research project and any impacts on the local community”.

Mr Hunt provided “numerous statements” to Cr Gill to show “this has been the shire’s project from the outset”.

Cr Gill said while the Buruli ulcer was a major health issue “the solving of one problem should not lead to other possible health problems for residents and the environment”.

“The widespread spraying of insects and the possible effect on birds and fish is a major environmental concern to residents,” Cr Gill said.

“Council has not made a decision on a spraying and eradication project on public or private land.

“If council were to undertake such an action it would seek public consultation after an evidence-based assessment, including the effect on people’s health and the environmental impact.”

The public forum to discuss ways of controlling the spread of the Buruli ulcer will be held 2-4pm this Saturday (10 August) at Rye civic hall. Expected to speak at the forum are Flinders MP Greg Hunt, Mornington Peninsula Shire mayor Cr David Gill, Nepean MP Chris Brayne, beekeeper Simon Mulvaney, scientists involved in the Buruli ulcer study, the Southern Peninsula Indigenous Flora & Fauna Association and ulcer sufferers.

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 6 August 2019

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.