Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Monday, May 18
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Strategy to end deaths on peninsula roads
News

Strategy to end deaths on peninsula roads

By Stephen TaylorJune 29, 2020Updated:July 16, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A FIVE-YEAR strategy to eliminate road deaths on the Mornington Peninsula involves having safer roads, safer vehicles, safer speeds and safer drivers.

The shire’s Road Safety Strategy 2020-25 – developed after community consultation and road safety experts – aims to reduce the “unacceptably high levels of road trauma” on peninsula roads.

A report to council’s Tuesday 23 June meeting noted that 69 people had been killed and more than 1500 seriously injured over the past decade.

The peninsula recorded the highest number of deaths in Victoria’s 79 local government areas in 2010 and in 2019.

The mayor Cr Sam Hearn said the community needed to “work together to minimise road trauma”.

“The devastating impacts of road trauma on our community are not just felt when someone is lost. Serious injuries are the hidden road toll, with ongoing pain, suffering and impairment upending the lives of those affected, as well as the lives of their families,” he said.

“One of our fundamental duties as a council is to look after the wellbeing of our community. Saving lives and preventing serious injury on our roads is central to that mission.”

In April 2016, the shire became the state’s first Towards Zero municipality and adopted the goal of having no deaths or serious injuries on roads within the municipality.

Community consultation on the draft strategy closes 5pm, Thursday 30 July.

To view the plan (including a summary) and to complete an online form visit: mornpen.vic.gov.au/haveyoursay.

Forms will be made available to complete in hard copy upon request.

Email submissions to: haveyoursay@mornpen.vic.gov.au with the subject line ‘Towards Zero’.

First published in the Mornington News – 30 June 2020

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Shire secretary congratulated on improved financial position

May 14, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.