Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Friday, May 22
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Govt to ‘clear’ mobile black spots
News

Govt to ‘clear’ mobile black spots

By MP News GroupJune 20, 2016No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

AFTER years of frustration it seems the calls for better mobile phone reception at Red Hill and Shoreham have finally been heard.

Flinders MP Greg Hunt is “delighted” that money needed to improve telecommunications in the two areas will be available if the Coalition government is re-elected at the 2 July federal poll.

Mr Hunt, who holds Flinders for the Liberals with a more than 11 per cent margin, is competing against five other candidates: Yvonne gentle (Rise Up Australia Party), Shane Lewis (independent), Willisa Hogarth (The Greens), Carolyn Gleixner (Labor) and Ben Wild (Animal Justice Party).

Mr Hunt said a re-elected Turnbull government would spend an extra $60 million to clear up mobile black spots.

“Many residents from these areas [Shoreham and Red Hill] have approached me about inadequate or practically non-existent mobile reception and this commitment will provide enhanced coverage for these townships,” Mr Hunt said.

“This improved coverage will provide benefits to emergency service operators, businesses, and local residents.”

He said the government had already spent $160m on mobile black spots.

“These locations have been selected for new base stations as they have been overlooked by mobile network operators due to commercial factors,” Mr Hunt said. “The Coalition is committed to improving mobile coverage along major transport routes, in small communities and … areas with high seasonal demand.”

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 21 June 2016

Related Posts

Murphy Report response released

May 22, 2026

Nature strip greening push backed by councillors

May 21, 2026

Give me shelter

May 21, 2026

Three peninsula groups awarded Australia Post community grants

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.