Warning follows garden fire death


AN Aspendale Gardens man weeding in his garden died after petrol fumes caught alight, Wednesday 18 May.

Police said the 42-year-old was pouring petrol from a watering can onto weeds along his fence line unaware of the danger as he neared a gas heater. The pilot light ignited the fumes, setting the man, and the fence, alight.

Witnesses said the man, of Waterdale Place, ran across the yard to grab the garden hose but had already suffered serious burns to his body.

Neighbours ran to help and called an ambulance. The man was taken to The Alfred hospital with life threatening injuries and died next day.

A Crime Scene was established by Mordialloc police and an arson chemist attended.

Incidents like these are prompting paramedics to urge caution with open fires and hot drinks in our cooler weather.

Six people were burnt in other serious incident last weekend. One, a Frankston North man in his 20s, burnt his hands after falling into a fire, Sunday 22 May. He was taken to Frankston Hospital in a stable condition.

Another man was critically injured in an accident in Gippsland. Ambulance Victoria acting group manager Michelle Murphy said the man, in his 60s, apparently threw petrol onto a fire.

“The man made his own way to Warragul Hospital. His condition deteriorated and he was transferred by air ambulance helicopter to The Alfred hospital in a critical condition,” Ms Murphy said.

“As colder weather hits, more people will be using open fires and outdoor fires to keep warm. We urge people to take care around fires. Burns can have lifelong impact with ongoing, painful treatment needed in severe burns cases.”

Paramedics also treated three children, including two who pulled hot tea onto themselves.

For information about minor burns, speak to a doctor or go to the Better Health Channel website.

First published in the Mornington News – 31 May 2016


Comments are closed.