A SOMERVILLE man has been remanded in custody after appearing at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court last week following an investigation by Taskforce Regarder.
The man, 23, was arrested Thursday afternoon on charges of reckless conduct endangering serious injury, prohibited person possessing firearm, trafficking drug of dependence and possessing a drug of dependence.
The taskforce was established in November in response to the growing number of hoon gatherings across metropolitan Melbourne. It has since made more than 50 arrests.
Acting Inspector Mike Daly, of Dandenong CIU, said the man’s arrest was “significant”. He said police would be alleging that he was one of the ringleaders of the gatherings in which hotted-up cars do wheelies and burn-outs in suburban streets in front of up to 300 spectators. The potential loss of control by the drivers poses significant risks to the public, he said.
The man has been remanded in custody to appear at court at a date to be fixed.
A 21-year-old Belgrave South man has also been charged with reckless conduct endangering serious injury as part of the investigation. He has been bailed to appear at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 28 October.