Frankston YCW slump to four straight losses



Floating to victory: Mt Eliza just got the chocolates against Frankston Bombers. Picture: Andrew Hurst

SORRENTO have piled further misery on Frankston YCW, claiming victory in a bruising contest at David Macfarlane Reserve on Saturday.

Coming off the back of three consecutive defeats, Frankston YCW faced a tough challenge to break their losing run against the in-form ladder leaders on Sorrento’s home turf.

Sorrento initially looked the better team in the early stages of the match, going into the quarter time break with a comfortable buffer of 14 points.

Chris Dawes looked to stamp his authority on the contest with a number of big early marks for Sorrento. He was matched up on Frankston YCW defender BJ Credlin, with the Sorrento forward having a significant size advantage over his opponent.

As the game progressed though, Credlin was able to get the better of Dawes, as Frankston YCW worked their way back into the contest with a big second quarter.

Sorrento went into the half time break only three points ahead, and to make things worse they were playing a man down after Jack Grant was forced off for the game in the second quarter following a head knock.

With momentum on their side and a half of football to play, Frankston YCW might’ve been considered favourites to run away with the contest, but Sorrento did well to persist despite playing a man down. Shannon Gladman stood up with a big performance to swing the game Sorrento’s way, and the Sharks went into the final term with a narrow seven point advantage.

Frankston YCW remained within an arm’s reach of the game, but ultimately the strength of Sorrento’s big guns was too much to overcome, as the Sharks ran out 14 point winners over Frankston YCW, 12.14 (86) to 10.12 (72).

Chris Dawes finished with four majors for Sorrento, while Lachlan Street performed valiantly to put away four goals of his own in a losing effort for the Stonecats.

Now having lost four matches on the trot, Frankston YCW will have a week off to lick their wounds and collect themselves.

Mt Eliza hosted the only other game of MPNFL Division One football for the weekend, as the other teams enjoyed a bye.

Mt Eliza took on Frankston Bombers in what would prove to be a difficult game at Emil Madsen Reserve. They started strongly with a two goal to zero first quarter, and went into the first break with a 13 point lead.

Things didn’t get any better from that point on for the Bombers, as they struggled to make any impact on the scoreboard. Despite having more scoring shots for the quarter, Frankston went into the main break having kicked no goals and a miserable eight behinds.

Mt Eliza failed to kick a goal in the third term but still went into the three-quarter time break with a fifteen point advantage. Suddenly it was Mt Eliza who couldn’t buy a goal, as Frankston Bombers began to fight back while their opponents struggled.

In the final quarter Mt Eliza could only muster up three paltry behinds, while Frankston Bombers were able to put two goals on the scoreboard. Despite a late fightback, Frankston Bombers couldn’t quite get over the line, as they fell to Mt Eliza in a scrappy contest 4.12 (36) to 3.15 (33).

First published in the Mornington News – 12 June 2018


Comments are closed.