Protest at Land Sale – Question of Subdivision


LAST Saturday afternoon, the land situate between the Prince of Wales Hotel and Mr Sage’s shop, Frankston, was offered for sale, on the site.

The owner, Mr. Short, considers the situation admirably adapted for shop sites, and he subdivided the block into four allotments.

The whole block has a frontage of 100 feet to Mornington Road, with a depth of 200 feet to Kananook Creek, where there is a three feet right-of-way along the bank of the stream.

Mr Short has cut his block in two, reserving the rear portion – 100 x 100 ft – as a residential area for himself, his frontage being the creek.

The front part, which has a right-of-way on both sides, be subdivided into three parts, each having frontage of 30 feet, and a depth of 100 feet.

The auctioneer, Mr W. P. Mason, had completed reading the conditions of sale, when Mr J.D. Jennings stepped forwarded, and asked several questions relating to the survey.

He received information confirming the fact that the three front allotments ran into a dead end, and that the only frontage possessed by the rear allotment – reserved by Mr Short – was the three feet right-of-way along the creek.

Mr Jennings then entered a vigorous protest against the action of the Shire Council in permitting what he termed “the creation of a slum area” in such a favored locality.

He contended in connection with the rear block that the granting of a frontage to a 3ft right-of-way was most improper, and he hoped the people of Frankston would not be slow to disapprove of the whole thing.

Mr Mason drew attention to the fact that the plans of sub-division bore the seal of the Shire Council and proceeded with the sale.

The corner block, nearest the hotel, was first offered, the purchaser having the option of taking the other two.

Bidding started at £10 per foot and increased by 5s bids to £10 15s, at which it was passed in.

It is stated that the vendors reserve was something like £15 per foot.


Local Soldiers Ignored

AT the conclusion of the Soldiers’ Memorial committee meeting, Mr H. Vicars referred to the advertised fact that Lieutenants Parer and McIntosh were to be entertained at Frankston.

As president of the local branch of the Returned Soldiers’ Association he could say that members deeply resented the manner in which they had been ignored in the matter.

They were anxious to co-operate, but had never been consulted by the two or three individuals who had taken upon themselves the responsibility of acting on behalf of the people of Frankston.

Cr Oates said the Council had written to Mr Parer senr., over a month ago concerning the matter of giving a public welcome to Lieut. Parer, and the Council was still waiting a reply.

He promised that enquiry would be made.

Mr Morrison took exception to the high price fixed for admission. In the past ls had been deemed sufficient charge to welcome home socials to returned soldiers.

Mr McMurtrie: Did the Returned Soldiers’ make any move towards organising a welcome?

Mr Vicars: We were waiting on the Council. Our branch is nearly 100 strong, and we expect to be consulted.


“Digger’s” Doings – A Day at the Races and a trip to the seaside

THE escapades of three “diggers” named Arthur Hall, Charles Newman and Stanley James (inmates of the Caulfield Military Hospital) occupied the attention of Messrs C, G. V. Williams (chairman), C. W. Grant, and W. J. Oates, J’s.P. at the Frankston Police Court on Monday last, when Newman and James were charged with stealing between £20 and £30 from their comrade, Hall.

Detective Ethell, in outlining the case, said that on Saturday, Sept 25th Hall invited Newman to accompany him to the city, where Hall collected £22. They were joined later by James, and proceeded to the Moonee Valley races.

They consumed a good deal of drink during the day, and finally found themselves at the Carrum Hotel, where they secured accommodation for the night.

When Hall was awakened on Sunday morning, he found his companions of the previous day had taken their departure. He also discovered his empty wallet near the bed, but no trace of the £27 it had contained when he retired to rest.

Hall informed the police, with the result that Newman and James were interviewed at the Caulfield Hospital.

At first they denied all knowledge of the money, but after being confronted with the motor driver, whom they engaged on the Sunday to take them to Mordialloc, and the manager of the Mordialloc Hotel, where they changed a £5 note, they made certain admissions to the police.

Arthur Hall, a young soldier, with one arm, gave evidence detailing the day’s doings.

He said he backed winners. He had 30/- on Pimpara at 7 to 1, and he gave James £1 to put on Earl Simon, and received £3 in return. After the races.

He, with Newman and James, engaged a motor car and arrived at the Carrum Hotel at about 10 o’clock at night, where they went to bed.

James did not undress.

Witness had about £27 in his wallet, which he carried in the pocket of his jacket.

The money consisted of four £5 notes and seven. £1 notes.

Witness paid all the expenses of the trip. He thought Newman had about £11 on Saturday morning, when they set out for the races.

James had no money.

They all had drinks during the day, and were just “nice and merry” when they got to Carrum.

Newman: You told us you got 7 to 2 Pimpara.

Hall: No, 7 to 1.

James denied the statement that he went to bed fully dressed.

John Crosby, motor driver, and Raymond Broomhall manager Mordialloc Hotel, gave evidence relating to the doings of the accused on Sunday, Sept 26th.

Constable McDonald read the statements made by Newman and James. They admitted having taken a couple of £5 notes, which, they said, they found lying on the floor near Hall’s bed at Carrum.

The accused pleaded guilty, and asked to be dealt with at once.

Newman: This would never have happened had we not been drinking.

I had three year’s active service, and was never in trouble before. If you give us a chance, we will make amends, and pay back the money to


James, who was on crutches, also promised amendment.

Detective Ethell: It looks like a drunken spree!

The Bench said that consideration would be given to what the men had suffered in the war. This trouble seemed to have resulted from their drunken condition.

They would be sentenced to three months imprisonment, sentence to be suspended on them entering into a bond of £25 to be of good behavior for 12 months.


A MEETING of the Peninsula’s Cricket Association was held at Hastings on Saturday last, when delegates were present from Tyabb, Hastings, Crib Point, French Island and the Naval Unit attached to the Flinders Naval Base.


FROM the pages of the Mornington Standard, 8 October 1920

First published in the Mornington News – 14 October 2020


Comments are closed.