Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sunday, May 24
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Footpath hazard from building delay
News

Footpath hazard from building delay

By Keith PlattMarch 26, 2013Updated:July 19, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

DRIVERS of electric scooters and people with walking frames are being forced onto the road by building works at the corner of Marine Parade and Church St in Hastings.

The footpath is blocked by safety fences erected around the $6 million “affordable” homes project.

Work stopped on the 20 homes last year after builders unearthed a disused fuel tank, forcing project owners Community Housing Ltd to have soil tested to gauge the extent of contamination from the tank left over from an old service station.

However, the situation is likely to get worse before it gets better, with the state manager for Community Housing Ltd, Brett Wake, saying more disruption is likely.

A second fuel tank has been found on the property and the footpath may have to be dug up to remove contaminated soil.

“Finding the second tank has really brought the project to a halt,” Mr Wake said on Monday.

He said a final report was being prepared for EPA Victoria that would then direct how much soil should be removed.

Mr Wake said it was hoped the EPA would “clear” six of the units at the corner of Church and King streets for occupation.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to finish them and move people in after we hear from the EPA in late April or early May,” he said.

“We don’t know what to do about the blockage of the footpath and there may be even more disruption to the path to come.

“We’ll be working with the EPA and council on that one.”

Mr Wake said the office of housing within the state Human Services Department had helped finance the soil checks.

Mr Wake said it would take about 12 weeks to finish the 20 units if given the all-clear.

Late last year Mr Wake remained “very confident” the project could be finished with Community Housing delaying seeking tenants for the homes.

“We were about 16 weeks off completion when the tank was found and it won’t take much to finish the project,” he told The News in October.

“It seems a complex situation, but I believe we will get to the end of it.”

Mr Wake said pipes protruding from the ground in front of the homes facing Marine Parade extended under the road “and that’s where the problem seems to be”.

Remediation will include removing and replacing soil on the site and then capping it with concrete.

When completed, the “affordable” homes will offer secure long-term rental accommodation to senior citizens, families on low incomes, and people with intellectual and physical disabilities who can live independently with support.

Dubbed the “Hastings model”, the project is being built with money from state and federal governments as well as Frankston Peninsula Carers.

The 20 homes were originally slated for completion this month.

blocked drivers electric scooters footpath Hastings walking frams

Related Posts

Panel to uncover the community’s best

May 23, 2026

Dromana op shop raises $20,000 for community support

May 23, 2026

Murphy Report response released

May 22, 2026

Nature strip greening push backed by councillors

May 21, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.