Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Friday, May 22
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Call for more road crossings to beach
News

Call for more road crossings to beach

By Stephen TaylorNovember 14, 2016Updated:November 14, 2016No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Hands full: Tiffany Wills with children Jack, Tom, Heidi and Charlie and mother-in-law Beverley Wills, laments the busy roads at Tootgarook last week.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Hands full: Tiffany Wills with children Jack, Tom, Heidi and Charlie and mother-in-law Beverley Wills, laments the busy roads at Tootgarook last week.
Hands full: Tiffany Wills with children Jack, Tom, Heidi and Charlie and mother-in-law Beverley Wills, laments the busy roads at Tootgarook last week.

INCREASINGLY busy roads and congested traffic are making it hard for families to get to beaches from McRae to Sorrento – let alone have a swim.

The opening of Eastlink, allowing easier access to hordes of visitors, particularly during the peak summer season November-April, has swelled the number of day-trippers and road users.

This, coupled with few designated road crossings, has made it “virtually impossible to cross the road safely”, mother-of-four Tiffany Wills, who regularly visits her mother-in-law at Kevin St, Tootgarook, said.

“We live 50 metres walking distance from the beach. But to cross Point Nepean Rd safely with our four children, we either have to walk about a kilometre to cross at the nearest pedestrian traffic lights at Carmichael St, or we have to drive 40 metres, which is ridiculous,” she said.

“And forget about taking the stand-up paddle board or beach umbrella – there are simply no breaks in traffic to cross safely; it’s just impossible year round. I’m tempted to go and buy my own lollipop sign.”

Ms Wills said the situation had become worse over the years. “I’m trying desperately to do something about it, such as getting some more pedestrian crossings, lights, or refuges, so that people can cross the road safely. I’m lobbying my neighbours, politicians, councillors and VicRoads.”

She has set up an online petition and says she will canvas more houses and local shops when she is down the coast in the next few weeks and over summer, and has called on VicRoads and Mornington Peninsula Shire to slow traffic flow and create breaks in the traffic.

“Local residents and visitors – many of whom are young families with small children and the elderly – should be able to cross the road and access the beaches in relative safety without fear of being hit by traffic in both directions,” she said.

“To date, despite numerous letters and phone calls to the council and VicRoads, it appears that very little consideration has been given to a revised pedestrian safety plan.”

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 15 November 2016

Related Posts

Murphy Report response released

May 22, 2026

Nature strip greening push backed by councillors

May 21, 2026

Give me shelter

May 21, 2026

Three peninsula groups awarded Australia Post community grants

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.