WORKS to protect the ageing seawall at Mt Martha’s Craigie beach will begin this month.
The 240-metre rock revetment will be built by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), in partnership with Mornington Peninsula Shire Council.
The department said the rock revetment would ensure the whole of the seawall was protected against future storm events.
“Last year a 97-metre rock revetment was constructed and this 240-metre section completes the protection works,” Eastern Region MP Daniel Mulino said.
“The stone seawall is thought to be at least 50 years old and is nearing the end of its life. It was designed to protect the cliff faces from large, powerful waves which, over time, can erode the cliffs and compromise the road, walking trails, and assets above.”
Over the past decade sections of rock were placed in front of the seawall to absorb wave energy. The department said this had been effective. The new works will extend the rock revetment to absorb wave energy and reduce the impact on the seawall.
The works will take about six weeks, depending on weather and tides.
The area behind the seawall and sections of the walking paths in the area will be closed during working hours, 7am-5pm, Monday to Friday. Visitors have been asked to observe safety signs and directions.