Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Monday, May 18
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Little hope for missing fisherman
News

Little hope for missing fisherman

By MP News GroupNovember 6, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

LAND and sea searches for a 78-year-old fisherman who went missing off rocks at Blairgowrie ocean beach, Sunday 29 October, were being scaled down late last week.

Police and emergency service crews appear to hold little hope for Wantirna man Yik Sua Hong who was last seen fishing off rocks at one of his regular fishing spots at noon.

A surfer told police deteriorating weather conditions were generating huge seas when he saw the man stand on the rocks. He was possibly swept into the sea.

Extensive searches by the Air Wing and Parks Victoria earlier in the week proved fruitless.

The man’s family had joined the desperate search of beaches and cliffs after finding his car locked and unattended in a car park. He was said to be a “keen” fisherman who frequented a fishing spot near the No. 16 access road.

Rosebud Police Senior Sergeant Eddie Logonder said strong winds and high tides in the exposed area made searching difficult. He said police divers had been unable to enter the water to search under ledges and in rock pools.

The weather was expected to improve over the weekend, he said.

Sorrento SES duty officer Peter LeBoeuf said the search had been hindered by the treacherous conditions. “Unfortunately we had no success,” he said. “We could not get too close to the water because of the weather.”

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 7 November 2017

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.