DOG walkers were being warned on social media last week to stay away from a Mornington park following reports of poison being found there.
A dog was rushed to the vet after eating rat poison inside the stomach and intestines of a dead animal on the ground at the Dunns Road park. The dog later recovered.
Environment protection manager Mark Upton said the shire was investigating the report.
“One of our officers is working closely with the dog’s owner and has carried out a search of the park but no further poison or animal organs were found,” Mr Upton said.
“It is unclear at this stage whether this was a deliberate act or whether perhaps someone’s home made rat or fox bait has somehow found its way to the park. We have asked the vet to freeze the remains of the animal organ retrieved from the dog as evidence.
“We are not aware of any other reports of dogs falling ill after visiting the park.”