Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Monday, May 11
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Speed limits slashed on Frankston-Flinders Road
News

Speed limits slashed on Frankston-Flinders Road

By Brendan ReesJuly 15, 2025Updated:July 25, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

SECTIONS of the Frankston-Flinders Road are set to have their speed limits reduced by the end of the year to enhance safety and address community concerns.

The changes include 1.9km between Tyabb and Hastings (90kph to 80 kph); 4km between Bittern and Balnarring (90kph to 80kph); and 1.8km between Balnarring and Merricks (100kph to 80kph). Other sections include 3.4km between Merricks and Shoreham (100kph to 80kph) and 4.1km between Shoreham and Flinders (100kph to 80kph).

The Department of Transport and Planning announced the new measures earlier this month. “When setting speed limits, we need to carefully balance keeping everyone safe on our roads and keeping people moving,” a spokesperson said.

Mornington Peninsula Shire councillor and road safety advocate David Gill welcomed the decision, which he said was made possible thanks to shire officers and community groups. “Congratulations and well done to all concerned – both officers and community groups – including Sue Boggan [of the Shoreham Community Association] for the Frankston-Flinders Rd speed reduction,” he said.

“This is part of a road safety process that I have been involved with since starting back on council over eight years ago. The background work of officers has been impressive, and their sustained efforts have helped highlight safety issues and where necessary achieved speed reductions on many of our most dangerous roads. “I believe it is still the case that no fatalities have occurred on any of the roads where speed limits have been reduced which is a greatly improved outcome.”

The shire has made road safety a priority, having recently allocated $13.1 million for road maintenance in its latest budget – a 72 per cent increase on last year, with a further $30,000 to go towards safer speed limits. It will also host a road safety workshop this month bringing together MPs, state officials, and emergency services with its findings to form part of its draft Towards Zero Road Safety Strategy.

Last month the shire also secured a $3.9 million win through the federal government’s Black Spot Program, which will address seven dangerous road sites on the peninsula (“Shire secures $3.9m to tackle road safety” The News 24/06/25).

Meanwhile, the Somers Residents Association is preparing to launch its road safety campaign which will advocate to have the speed limits of all unsealed roads reduced to 30kph.

First published in the Mornington News – 15 July 2025

Mornington Peninsula Road Safety Speed Reductions

Related Posts

Drivers lose licences after 180km/h freeway stunt

May 11, 2026

Hastings mum named 2026 Victorian Mother of the Year

May 10, 2026

Headspace relocates to Rosebud youth hub

May 8, 2026

New research and cultural education centre set to open at Point Nepean

May 7, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Mornington Racing Club – Many improvements planned

May 7, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.