Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Sunday, May 24
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Minister steps in to restore beach
News

Minister steps in to restore beach

By Stephen TaylorSeptember 10, 2018Updated:July 16, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Picture: Yanni
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

THE state government has postponed building a rock wall at Portsea beach aimed at further preventing sand erosion, and will instead start repairing the existing sandbag seawall using its current design.

This follows a bid by Mornington Peninsula Shire to overturn a decision by the Department of Environment, Land, Water, and Planning to build the rock wall which mayor Cr Bryan Payne slammed as “the final environmental nail in the coffin [which would] permanently destroy the beach”. (See “Restore our beach: council demands” The News 4/9/18).

Energy, Environment and Climate Change Minister Lily D’Ambrosio last week ordered the repair of the sandbags laid down in 2010, which, although not in itself paving the way for a return of the sandy beach, is hoped to give the shire and government departments time to develop a better long-term solution.

Shire officers attended a meeting to discuss the beach’s restoration with DELWP and the Victorian Coastal Council in June. Late last month the mayor hosted Greens leader Dr Samantha Ratnam and Greens Nepean candidate Paul Saunders on a tour of the site to illustrate the need for its restoration.

The beach was regarded as one of the best in the state and was praised by Cr Payne as a “major public asset of the community”. He acknowledged its restoration had become a “difficult and expensive problem to resolve”.

“It is important to recognise that coastal areas are not static environments and have to cope with variable destructive elements, such as wind, waves and a changing climate,” he said.

The cost of the sandbag repair is about $950,000. Cr Payne welcomed the minister’s announcement: “The council congratulates Ms D’Ambrosio on this action which provides an opportunity to develop a long-term strategic plan and allows time to gather and assess all known information and research,” he said.

“It will require team work and planning involving DELWP, shire, community and the relevant experts sharing all available information.”

Cr Payne said coastal erosion and degradation of beaches was a major issue for coastal councils. “We believe it is an issue which should receive a bipartisan policy approach, given the major environmental and economic impacts it can have on coastal communities,” he said.

“Coastal erosion can close beaches, either through a loss of sand, as at Portsea, or dangerous cliffs [such as Mt Martha north beach] which require closure for public safety.

“Ultimately, these impacts can filter through to the economic activity of coastal villages through a downturn in visitors.”

Cr Hugh Fraser said the Portsea Foreshore Advisory Group and Nepean Ratepayers Association had been “fighting for years” to have the state government restore the beach.

“President Colin Watson has assembled formidable expert evidence which has now persuaded the minister to revisit her earlier decision to construct a rock wall and to work through with the community what is required to restore the beach.”

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 11 September 2018

Related Posts

Panel to uncover the community’s best

May 23, 2026

Dromana op shop raises $20,000 for community support

May 23, 2026

Murphy Report response released

May 22, 2026

Nature strip greening push backed by councillors

May 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.