Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local History
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Thursday, July 3
Breaking News
  • E-bike rider charged following fatal collision in Hastings
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local History
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Home New
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Rubbish pile grows, departments dither
News

Rubbish pile grows, departments dither

By Stephen TaylorMarch 7, 2016Updated:July 16, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
Growing pile: Clean-up operation ‘under review’. “It’s a pity the picture didn’t capture the vermin,” our correspondent said.
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Growing pile: Clean-up operation ‘under review’. “It’s a pity the picture didn’t capture the vermin,” our correspondent said.
Growing pile: Clean-up operation ‘under review’. “It’s a pity the picture didn’t capture the vermin,” our correspondent said.

RUBBISH dumped outside a public housing unit block in Mary St, Mornington, has been piling up since November attracting vermin and becoming a fire risk.

A Mornington Peninsula Shire ranger reported the mess but, because the property off Spray St and behind Main St is on Department of Human Services land, he was unable to launch a clean-up operation.

The rubbish remained – and grew – posing a threat to the 30 mainly aged and infirm residents in the units whose only point of access was becoming blocked by the pile.

Mornington fire brigade twice put out fires caused by vandals. A resident put out another fire later.

The daughter of a neighbour, Jennifer Webber, said she spoke to the fire brigade, which said the rubbish was a shire responsibility, and to the shire, which said it was up to DHS.

“In the meantime two arson attempts have been made and, on a hot day, strong winds and fire could effectively block residents from evacuating. I am going to try the EPA next,” she said.

Later, she told The News: “DHS finally got back to me, saying: ‘I write to acknowledge your email received on 2 March 2016. The department will review the matter you have raised and advise you of the outcome of your complaint.  It is hoped a response can be provided by 20 working days after receipt’.

“This is not good enough,” Ms Webber said. “The rubbish has been in front of [the units] since November last year and 20 working days is four weeks – yet it is such a danger to residents.”

First published in the Mornington News – 8 March 2016

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Posts

Advocates celebrate abuse law change

July 3, 2025

Railway station scam

July 1, 2025

Flinders result unaffected by poll blunder – AEC

July 1, 2025

Grand Hotel’s tower revamp signals new chapter for icon

June 26, 2025
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

14 Bass Street, McCrae

June 3, 2025
Council Watch

Shire secures $3.9m to tackle road safety

June 16, 2025

Kinder flyer flag snub prompts councillors to take over

June 10, 2025
100 Years Ago This Week

Baxter – On The ‘Wallaby’ with a walking group

July 1, 2025
Interview

Firefighter shows skills from sea to snow

February 5, 2024
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local History
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Home New
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2025 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.