Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Fire battle rages on home front
News

Fire battle rages on home front

By MP News GroupAugust 28, 2018Updated:August 30, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Fire fight: A fierce early morning blaze almost gutted this Tyabb house on Thursday. Pictures: Gary Sissons
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
Fire fight: A fierce early morning blaze almost gutted this Tyabb house on Thursday. Pictures: Gary Sissons

FIREFIGHTERS from four CFA brigades were unable to save a Tyabb house from being savaged by an early morning fire last week.

Captain Jarrod Vetesi, of Tyabb CFA, said eight appliances from Tyabb, Mornington, Hastings and Somerville brigades rushed to the Jones Road property, 2.30am, Thursday 23 August.

The two-storey brick house was well alight. The fire was possibly caused by a log rolling from the fireplace and setting floor coverings alight.

Captain Vetesi said that while 90 per cent of the house was destroyed, the 65-70 firefighters did manage to save two rear bedrooms, bathroom – and the owner’s prized hot rod parked in a shed at the rear.

He said the steel roof may have saved the house from total destruction as less air circulated under this type of roof than under tiled roofs.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control at 6.30am but were mopping up hot spots until 12.30pm.

The owner of the acreage property, a man in his 70s, received burns to the back of his head and cuts to his face trying in vain to extinguish the blaze. He was taken to Frankston Hospital by ambulance.

First published in the Western Port News – 28 August 2018

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.