Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Beach boxes under threat – Liberals
News

Beach boxes under threat – Liberals

By MP News GroupJuly 15, 2019Updated:July 16, 2019No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
SAND is building up behind beach boxes at Mt Martha North where large boulders have been placed at the foot of the still-receding cliff. Picture: Keith Platt
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
SAND is building up behind beach boxes at Mt Martha North where large boulders have been placed at the foot of the still-receding cliff. Picture: Keith Platt

LIBERAL MP for Mornington David Morris has accused the state Labor government of having a plan that will see beach boxes “ripped off our beaches”.

While last week’s run of strong winds and waves appeared to be trying their best to undermine beach boxes at Mt Martha North, Mr Morris issued a news release saying the Draft Marine and Coast Policy report released by Environment Minister Lily D’Ambrosio, stated that bathing boxes were “to be removed/relocated as the opportunity arises”.

“This is a dramatic departure from the former Liberal Nationals government’s plans to retain bathing boxes,” Mr Morris said.

“Not only are these bathing boxes much loved, many are also heritage listed after being added to the Victorian heritage register by the Heritage Council of Victoria in July 2018.

“This plan to remove Victoria’s iconic beach boxes would destroy not just an important part of Victoria’s built heritage, but also an important part of Victoria’s cultural heritage.”

Mr Morris said the Premier Daniel Andrews should “immediately abandon this absurd plan to remove bathing boxes from Victoria’s beaches, and apologise for even contemplating such a ridiculous and out of touch move”.

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 16 July 2019

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.