SEVERE storms which lashed Sorrento and Rye camping grounds on 29 October put a dampener on an early start to the camping season.
Many areas were declared unsafe to pitch a tent or park a caravan.
Since then, Mornington Peninsula Shire crews have inspected trees, trimmed branches and cleared debris allowing the camping grounds to open on Friday (26 November).
Inspections at McCrae and Rosebud will start soon at sections five, six and seven, before moving on to sections 11 and 12, which are said to be the “most popular camping areas during the pre-peak camping period”.
The shire hopes all campgrounds will open in time for the peak camping season on 18 December.
“It is great news that we can soon welcome campers back to the Sorrento and Rye campgrounds,” Cr Anthony Marsh said.
“Our number one priority is safety. As soon as the trees are declared safe, we will welcome back campers.
“We have been providing regular updates to our campers about the situation.”