THE state government has given the green light to the upgrade of the intersection of Forest Drive and Nepean Highway, Mount Martha three years after the federal government offered to pay for it.
Flinders MP Greg Hunt said the federal government had committed more than $20 million to the intersection, with work now scheduled to start in 2023.
The work will include traffic lights across Nepean Highway, a signalised pedestrian crossing, footpaths connecting the intersection’s bus stops and realignment of the driveway opposite Forest Drive.
Mr Hunt said calls to Improve the intersection had been the subject of “countless community campaigns” since 2014, when VicRoads was petitioned to install a roundabout or traffic lights, following the death of a 91-year-old man injured in a crash.
Mr Hunt said the cost of the upgrade had been met by the federal government’s urban congestion fund.
On Friday, Mr Hunt said that he was pleased to see the state government getting on with the project but accused it of failing a commitment to start construction in 2021.
The project can be reviewed at vicroads.vic.gov.au/planning-and-projects/melbourne-road-projects/forest-drive-and-nepean-highway-intersection-upgrade