Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Friday, May 22
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Hill win for cafe van
News

Hill win for cafe van

By Brodie CowburnOctober 10, 2022Updated:July 16, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

LITTLE Olly’s Cafe will continue trading at Oliver’s Hill thanks to the success of a, community-backed campaign.

Earlier this month, the operators of Little Olly’s and neighbouring Cripps Fish and Chips were told that their permit to trade at the Olivers Hill boat ramp would not be renewed. Frankston Council planned to replace the two businesses with a mobile Mercetta’s restaurant.

More than 12,000 people signed a petition protesting the removal of the portable cafe from its home at Olivers Hill. Late on Friday people power won out, and council announced that Little Olly’s and Cripps Fish and Chips would be allowed to trade alongside Mercetta’s.

Little Olly’s Cafe van has been operating for three years. An online statement from Little Olly’s after the closure announcement read that the cafe was being “forced to say goodbye to our wonderful customers, team and suppliers at the end of October”.

“Over the past three years, we have accomplished more than we ever imagined. Our vision was to build a community at the boat ramp by providing great coffee, and friendly service.  We think, with your help and loyalty, we have achieved this and more. Apart from playing some part in helping you through lockdown, we have loved sharing the joys of your lives,” the statement read.

On Friday, a much happier statement from Little Olly’s read “we are so grateful to share that we will be able to remain in our home at the bottom of Olivers Hill, for at least the next 12 months. Beyond that, the council have asked us to assist them in developing and improving the tender process for the future”.

Council was savaged over the initial decision. Council CEO Phil Cantillon defended the call, saying that the recent lease application process had been fair. Council received 18 applications for 12 month leases as part of its license renewal process in August, with one of the locations under consideration the site at Olivers Hill.

“I have no reason to believe that the applications were not assessed fairly and by a diverse panel of council officers to inform the decisions on each site,” he said.

Frankston MP Paul Edbrooke signalled his support for the existing vendors on Facebook last week.

Before the decision was reversed, Cr Steven Hughes slammed council for the decision to move Little Olly’s on. “Tens of millions of ratepayers dollars are spent on big, flashy buildings that could easily be saved or deferred. This photo-op obsession is, I believe, the reason for the Olly’s permit non-renewal. The prospect of having a well-to-do, high status food provider from Mornington at Olivers Hill was the death knell for the small, unassuming Olly’s. This is a council so focused on its image that it is willing to sell out small local businesses, and entirely ignore the financial plight of those they govern, for the purposes of their own relentless self-promotion,” he said.

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 11 October 2022

Related Posts

Murphy Report response released

May 22, 2026

Nature strip greening push backed by councillors

May 21, 2026

Give me shelter

May 21, 2026

Three peninsula groups awarded Australia Post community grants

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.