A FIRE at the Mornington Peninsula Shire’s waste and recycling depot in Mornington on 23 January has prompted a reminder on the dangers of placing flammable materials in waste.
Just a week after a fire started at the Rye Transfer Station, a fire had to be extinguished at the Outlook resource recovery centre in Racecourse Road, Mornington.
Thirteen fire trucks attended the fire, which happened just after midday.
While the cause of the latest fire has not been revealed, the council has urged the community to be vigilant when it comes to disposing of batteries and other flammable waste.
All kinds of material can cause a fire if incorrectly disposed of, including any type of battery, household chemicals and aerosol cans that are not empty. To find out how to correctly dispose of these items please check out the waste and recycling guide, which can be found on the shire website.