Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Waiting in line
News

Waiting in line

By MP News GroupOctober 7, 2019Updated:October 8, 2019No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

TEMPORARY replacement portable toilets at Capel Sound Foreshore Reserve are “horrendous” and don’t compensate campers and visitors for the loss of the old concrete block, a resident says.

Chris Major, who complained about the closure of the rundown 1950s block last year, says the “port-a-loos” are an inadequate replacement.

“We’ve been waiting since January for a new toilet block and now with the summer onslaught approaching it looks like we’ll have to go through it all again,” she said.

“Hundreds of people won’t use them and just go and pee in the bushes.”

Ms Major said dance and yoga clubs which visit the area regularly need proper toilets. “Everyone’s complaining,” she said.

Capel Sound Foreshore Reserves manager Wayne Nicholls said the concrete toilet block was unsafe and would be replaced.

“We are in the process of raising funds to redevelop the whole area which could cost up to $600,000,” he said. “We are at the concept plan stage and are about to start community consultation.”

Mr Nicholls said the foundations of the old structure were unsafe and that vandals had torn out copper fittings and a hot water service for scrap.

Last year, four portable toilets were installed at the parking area near the beach end of Truemans Road, but these were set on fire and destroyed.

“Despite this sad experience four portables will again be installed “before the Melbourne Cup weekend”, Mr Nicholls said.

Two portables are at the boat ramp about 200 metres away and are “cleaned daily”.

First published in the Southern Peninsula News – 8 October 2019

Related Posts

Cheques presented to airshow beneficiaries

May 15, 2026

Shire all in for inclusion

May 15, 2026

Crime Stoppers call reveals alleged cannabis crop and cache of weapons in Mornington

May 15, 2026

Youth mental health forum to spotlight Peninsula support services

May 14, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

47A Strachans Road, Mornington

Property Of The Week January 27, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.