Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Tuesday, May 19
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Council pushes jet ski safety crackdown
News

Council pushes jet ski safety crackdown

By Brendan ReesMarch 31, 2026Updated:April 13, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
Too fast? Who cares!: Personal watercraft speed past a sign at Safety Beach clearly indicating a speed limit of five knots. Picture: Gary Sissons
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

MORNINGTON Peninsula Shire councillors have backed a push to strengthen enforcement of jet ski regulations, voting to submit a motion to the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) State Council meeting in May.

The motion calls on the state government to increase enforcement of personal watercraft rules, particularly around speed limits and safe distances from swimmers.

Council officers said submitting a shire-led motion would elevate the issue at a state level and highlight safety concerns shared by coastal communities.

The MAV has confirmed the issue is strategically relevant, noting its impact on community safety and amenity across Victoria’s coastline.

The Association of Bayside Municipalities has also endorsed the proposal, aligning with its strategic goal to “advocate for improved personal watercraft licencing, enforcement and education”.

Jet ski safety has been a key advocacy priority for the shire over 2025/26, following increased complaints from residents and visitors. Council said reckless behaviour, including near misses with swimmers and impacts on marine life, had become a growing concern.

Councillors voted unanimously in support of the officer recommendation at their 17 March meeting.

Cr Michael Stephens said stronger enforcement was critical.

“I support the recommendation that council endorse the submission of this motion to the MAV. In recent years, I’ve seen increasing and consistent concerns from the community regarding the operation of watercraft, particularly jet skis, in close proximity to swimmers and wildlife,” he said.

“While regulations already exist…the key issue being raised by our community is the enforcement. Without effective enforcement, these regulations cannot provide the level of safety and reassurance that our residents expect when using our beaches.”

Stephens said the MAV submission would allow councils to “speak with a united voice” and push for “more consistent and visible enforcement of existing regulations”.

Acting mayor Cr Paul Pingiaro said the shire had already written to the Minister and highlighted recent enforcement efforts.

“Operation Summer Safe led to over 100 infringements in a very short period,” he said.

He also stressed the importance of education around rules, including speed limits near swimmers and extended 500-metre coastal restrictions between Martha Cove and Point Nepean.

“But most of all, education so people understand that there’s a change from the 200 metres to the 500 metres,” they said.

He added the advocacy push includes increased police patrols, CCTV, drone monitoring, clearer signage and restrictions on jet skis entering swimming-only zones.

“No boating zones mean no boating. That’s jet skis included.”

Cr David Gill said enforcement remained the biggest challenge due to limited resources.

“Policing is the difficult part; enforcement is the difficult part… it’s just a financial impediment at the moment.”

If supported at the MAV State Council’s 29 May meeting, the motion would strengthen advocacy efforts and increase pressure on the state government to act.

First published in the Mornington News – 31 March 2026

Jet Ski Mornington Peninsula safety

Related Posts

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

May 19, 2026

Council scales back Emil Madsen pavilion as costs rise

May 19, 2026

Council backs new wildlife protection push for peninsula

May 19, 2026

TLC pitches $250m public-private healthcare precinct at Rosebud Hospital

May 19, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.