Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Friday, May 22
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»News»Vacant houses can be ‘risky’
News

Vacant houses can be ‘risky’

By Liz BellOctober 17, 2022Updated:October 19, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
OWNERS of vacant homes can be taken to court if they don’t maintain the property. Picture: Gary Sissons
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

OWNERS of empty houses are being reminded of their obligations to maintain them following complaints that some vacant homes are attracting “unsavoury” behaviour and posing a fire risk.

Neighbours of a vacant house in Nepean Highway, Mornington, say their years of complaints to Mornington Peninsula Shire have gone “nowhere”.

One neighbour said that for almost four years residents had been urging council staff to do something about the overgrown property.

“They did make an effort to make contact and ensure it was safe and not as much of a fire hazard as it has come to be, but it’s not really good enough,” she said.

“A contractor has come (about six months ago) and temporary fencing has been taken down and it was cleaned up, but there is green waste which is now a fire waiting to happen.

“It’s a free for all for unsavoury types to come in all day and night, people dropping waste there – trolleys, signs, trailer loads of old timber.

“I have made various attempts to speak to local councillors, this seems to be almost contradictory to what the peninsula prides itself on.”

Community safety and compliance manager Shannon Maynard said the council was aware of the issue and had been in “constant contact” with the owner regarding clearing the property.

He said the property was partially cleared in March, but there was still more work to be done.

“There are processes in place under which council can clear a property and take the matter to court to recover costs and we have now given the owner a deadline for this,” he said.

“ I am hopeful this issue will be resolved before we get to that stage.”

First published in the Mornington News – 18 October 2022

Related Posts

Murphy Report response released

May 22, 2026

Nature strip greening push backed by councillors

May 21, 2026

Give me shelter

May 21, 2026

Three peninsula groups awarded Australia Post community grants

May 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.