Close Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
  • Read Our Newspapers Online
    • Read the Latest Western Port News
    • Read the Latest Mornington News
    • Read the Latest Southern Peninsula News
    • Read the Latest Frankston Times
    • Read the Latest Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News
  • Competition
  • Home New
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Monday, May 25
Facebook X (Twitter)
MPNEWSMPNEWS
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
Breaking News
MPNEWSMPNEWS
Home»Nepean By-Election»Rosebud still a hot topic for Nepean by-election
Nepean By-Election

Rosebud still a hot topic for Nepean by-election

By Cameron McCulloughApril 7, 2026Updated:April 13, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Reddit Threads Email Copy Link
ONE Nation’s Darren Hercus with supporters at Portsea Market. Picture: Supplied
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

THE electoral rolls have now closed for the Nepean by-election with the VEC reporting that 50,910 people are enrolled to vote at the 2 May poll; an increase of 1900 voters since the 2022 state election.

With less than four weeks until polling day, there are still six candidates who have signalled their intention to run for the Nepean by-election: Anthony Marsh (Liberal Party), Tracee Hutchinson (Independents of Mornington Peninsula endorsed candidate), Sianan Healy (The Greens), Darren Hercus (One Nation), Peter Angelico (Libertarian), and Milton Wilde (End Mass Immigration – Reform AU).

Of those six, five are officially registered on the VEC website as having nominated with only Marsh’s nomination to come.

Nominations for the by-election close at 12 noon on Thursday 9 April for registered political party candidates and 12 noon on Friday 10 April for independent candidates.

The hot topic for the Nepean by-election continues to be Rosebud Hospital with One Nation’s Darren Hercus weighting into the fray in the last week.

In a swipe at the Liberal Party’s commitment to spend $340m rebuilding Rosebud Hospital, Hercus released a statement stating that he supported a “public-private-partnership” to rebuild the hospital that he said would “save taxpayers up to $340m”.

Hercus said he believes the residents of Nepean had been exceedingly tolerant of what he described as a “dilapidated health facility that was no longer fit for purpose”.

“The Rosebud Hospital has been starved of desperately needed funding and resources for too long, and our community deserves so much better,” Hercus said,

“My firm view is that the resources, funding, and facilities available at the Frankston Hospital should be matched here at Rosebud, and if a PPP is the vehicle to do that, then let’s get it done.”

The One Nation candidate said he was “shocked that the community was expected to tolerate the constant ad hoc, band-aid repairs at the hospital.”

“Everyone is tired of having sand kicked in their faces,” he said.

Liberal Party candidate Anthony Marsh has continued door knocking, again joined by some big names from the party.

On Easter Saturday he was joined at Hill & Ridge Community Market by leader of the Victorian Liberal Party Jess Wilson.

The party leader has been a familiar presence during the campaign, and was seen performing dual roles of party leader and parent while out and about at the market.

Marsh posted to social media during the week, changing a blown tyre after hitting a pothole on Eastbourne Road, talking about the poor condition of state government-managed roads.

The Greens candidate Sianan Healy stated her belief that the housing crisis had become a full-blown emergency on the Mornington Peninsula.

She outlined a specific package for Nepean – from a purpose-built crisis accommodation facility on the southern peninsula to stronger rent caps and vacancy taxes aimed at turning empty investment properties and holiday homes back into real housing.

Healy was also campaigning at Hill & Ridge Community Market on Saturday.

Independent for Mornington Peninsula endorsed candidate Tracee Hutchison has been busy campaigning around the electorate.

She will join supporters for a an event “Band Together 4 Tracee” this Sunday for an afternoon of live music, community and connection at Penni Ave Distillery in Rye.

Her announcement states “Organised by young people from across Nepean, this event brings together incredible local artists and a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere for all ages”.

First published in the Mornington News – 7 April 2026

Nepean by-election

Related Posts

Independent Hutchison won’t contest poll in November

May 20, 2026

Marsh officially declared Nepean winner

May 15, 2026

Anthony Marsh resigns from council following state election win

May 14, 2026

Marsh wins Nepean, sparking Briars by-election

May 4, 2026
Add A Comment

Comments are closed.

Peninsula Essence Magazine – Click to Read
Peninsula Kids Magazine – Click to Read
Letters to the Editor
Property of the Week

8 Birdwood Avenue, Mornington.

Property Of The Week May 19, 2026
Council Watch

Ratepayers foot the bill for public waste costs

April 20, 2026

Shire reforecasts budget after $8.2m shortfall

April 9, 2026
100 Years Ago This Week

Railway Electrification – Mornington agitation

May 18, 2026
Menu
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Entertainment
  • Local Lives & Landmarks
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • About Us
  • Subscribe
About

Established in 2006, Mornington Peninsula News Group (MPNG) is a locally owned and operated, independent media company.

MPNG publishes five weekly community newspapers: the Western Port News, Mornington News, Southern Peninsula News, Frankston Times and Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News.

MPNG also publishes two glossy magazines: Peninsula Essence and Peninsula Kids.

Facebook X (Twitter)
© 2026 Mornington Peninsula News Group.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.